sekolah tuanku abdul rahman
 
 

Our History

STAR is established in the line with the proposals set out in the Penyata Razak 1956 .The goal is to provide opportunities for young Malay students to pursue secondary. In 1956, the first group of 40 students were temporarily boarded at Pasir Puteh Primary School Ipoh. These students then re-registered to study at a new place known as Malay Secondary School on January 2, 1957.

 

In the early stages of its establishment, this school was pre-established in five buildings once used by the Malay Regiment located in Baeza Avenue. On 1 November 1956, the Kuala Lumpur Forestry Office was asked to help set up twelve new classrooms, six bathrooms and enlarge the kitchen. These buildings were completed on 18 January 1957. On 2 January 1957 Mr. Hamdan Sheikh Tahir began working as Headmaster assisted by 15 teachers starting on 7 January 1957.

 

The first admission of students began on Sunday 13 January 1957. A total of 200 students aged 14 and 15 from transitional class centers in Ipoh, Johor Bharu, Kuala Lipis, Kuala Lumpur and Penang were admitted and placed in five classes of form one. In March 1957 a total of 160 qualified students aged between 13 and 14 years old and put in four classrooms. On February 20, 1957, a resolution was adopted to use the colors RED and WHITE represent the school and the motto of the school was ILMU PANDUAN HIDUP.

 

In 1958, the school was moved to its own building located at Tiger Lane (now known as Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah). The school area covers 46 acres and is equipped with six dormitory buildings and two main buildings for 13 classrooms, administration building, carpentry room, assembly hall as well as equipped with three fields, a surau and a paviliion.

 

On 14 May 1958, the school was renamed Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman, taking its name from the first DYMM Seri Paduka Baginda Yang Di-Pertuan Agong. The school naming ceremony was officiated by YTM Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra, the Prime Minister of the Federation of Malaya at that time. On 23 September 1958, DYMM Seri Paduka Baginda Yang Di-Pertuan Agong  paid an official visit to Tuanku Abdul Rahman School.